Our initiatives to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
Sustainability and social responsibility are key priorities for ANA InterContinental Tokyo. We have been actively driving awareness of the importance of social responsibility and steadily implementing actions to enforce sustainability in our pursuit of becoming a socially responsible organization.
We will continue to support the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) advocated by the United Nations and contribute to the realization of a sustainable society, especially, focusing on the effective use of resources and energy.
We can all work together towards a more sustainable environment for the betterment of the planet and the next generation. Listed below are some of our key milestones.
Reuse of Resources and Energy
- Reuse of water (reclaimed water treatment /since 2002)
The bio-treatment system recycles kitchen drainage, miscellaneous drainage, rainwater, pool water, etc., and reuses them for flushing toilets.
- Reuse of steam heat from dishwasher (since 2019)
The dishwasher in the kitchen of a large restaurant collects the heat of vapor generated during washing and uses the heat energy to make hot water for washing and rinsing.
- Food resource recycling (since 2020)
The compost production equipment installed inside the hotel decomposes, ferments, and composts kitchen waste, which also allows to reduce the amount of waste. Our future plan is complete the circulation of food resources by providing these composts to farmers and procure their vegetables and fruits cultivated with the compost, as our restaurants’ ingredients.
Reduction of Energy Consumption
- “Building Energy Management System (BEMS)”, an energy-saving air conditioning system (since 2002)
A system equipped with the former ANA Hotels’ original application has realized air conditioning control that ensures the optimum room temperature with the minimum amount of energy. As a result, the amount of energy was reduced by -13.8% in 2003 compared to 1990, which was a bigger reduction than the target under the Kyoto Protocol, -6%.
- Heat shield film (since 2002)
A heat shield film is attached to the window glass of all guest rooms to improve heating and cooling efficiency.
- IHG Green Engage (introduced to IHG hotels around the world since 2009)
An innovative online environmental sustainability system that gives our hotels the means to measure and manage their impact on the environment. We reduce their energy, water and waste, and improve their impact on the environment.
- LED lighting (since 2017)
The power consumption for air conditioning is reduced by replacing the lighting of the guest rooms, kitchens, and back areas by LED lighting and suppressing the rise of room temperature.
- Removal of plastic straws (2018)
Disposable plastic straws were eliminated from guest rooms, restaurants, and banquet halls to reduce plastic waste.
- Other initiatives in guest rooms
– Motion sensors which detect absent rooms and automatically turn off the air conditioning and lighting are installed in all guest rooms (844 rooms).
– Guests staying consecutive nights are encouraged to reuse sheets and towels to reduce the amount of cleaning, save water and reduce water pollution caused by detergents. In fiscal year 2019, the reuse rate increased by approximately 10% compared to 2016.
Journey to Tomorrow
Doing what’s right, not just what’s needed
IHG® Hotels & Resorts, has launched Journey to Tomorrow, a series of ambitious new commitments to make a positive difference for our people, communities and planet over the next decade.
Please refer to more details here.
evian® TREE PLANTING PROGRAM
About the evian® Tree Planting Program
Amongst the worldwide leaders of natural mineral water*, evian® is an innovative brand with a youthful spirit – a fresh, optimistic and open attitude towards life, to rejuvenate people and the planet, today, tomorrow and always. Rooted in its pioneering spirit and long-lasting commitment towards sustainability, evian® is, at all steps of the product lifecycle, attached to operate in the most sustainable way.
To find out more about the evian® Tree Planting Program, click here: https://www.plantingprogram.evian.com/